JON ABRAHAMS

Car Accident Attorney Serving
Michigan For Nearly 30 Years

Injured? Get A Free Consultation!
Or Simply Text “AUTO” to 21000

Car Accident FAQ

Helpful Tips From An Experienced Car Accident Lawyer In The Detroit Metro Area.

Unfortunately, car accidents often produce potentially serious damage to both a person’s property and their person, costing them valuable time and money. To help you get through this difficult time, here are some answers to common questions people have about automobile accidents. It is always the goal of Abrahams Law to make sure that this process is as easy as possible on our clients. If you have any more questions, make sure to call our firm. We are available to answer questions 24/7!

What should I do after an accident?

The first thing that anyone should do after an accident is call an emergency response team. They are the only ones qualified to make sure that nobody is seriously injured and they can see that medical attention is provided to those that need it. After everyone is taken care of, you should then proceed to obtain everyone’s contact info, such as their name, number, address, as well as their insurance agency and policy number.

Also, take down the license plates of all cars involved. If there were any witnesses, get their contact information, in case you need them to make a statement on your behalf. To further get evidence of the accident, you might want to take pictures of the scene. Include pictures of vehicle damage and the area surrounding the accident.

When should I contact my insurance company?

Most insurance companies prefer that a client contacts them immediately following an accident. If you haven’t done so immediately, call our office and we can handle that for you! It is recommended that you give nothing but the bare facts of the accident. If an insurance company doesn’t want to pay your damages, then they might try to use your words against you. An attorney can help you negotiate with your insurance company to make sure that you get the right amount of compensation.

Why should I hire a car accident attorney?

No matter how serious a car accident may be, it is always beneficial to have an experienced attorney to guide you through the claims process. They can help you formulate statements that cannot be used against you, and may fight insurance companies that don’t want to give you the full amount of compensation. By hiring a competent attorney, you can be released of stress and anxiety that comes with trying to handle your own claim. A Farmington Hills car accident attorney will be able to take that on and leave you to recover in peace.

How much will an attorney cost?

While lawyers are notorious for being expensive, Abrahams Law provides each potential client with a free consultation so they can find out if our firm is right for them. Fill out a free case evaluation form  or give us a call now to allow us to get started on your case.

How long do I have to file a lawsuit?

Each state places a time limit on how long a person has to file a claim after an accident. This time limit is known as a Statute of Limitations. In Michigan, the statute of limitations for an auto accident is 3 years “after the time of the death or injury for all actions to recover damages for the death of a person, or for injury to a person or property.”

If I was partially responsible, can I still claim compensation?

Yes, but the amount may vary depending on how much fault the jury attributes to you. This is done through Michigan’s comparative fault law, which states that “damages shall be assessed on the basis of comparative fault.” This means that if the jury finds you 20% at fault for the accident, you will be compelled to pay 20% of the damages you are claiming in the case and the defendant will pay the remaining 80%. However, Michigan does not allow for plaintiffs with more than 50% fault for the accident, which would be a majority of the fault.

The other driver’s insurance company offered me a settlement, should I take it?

Insurance companies are always seeking the fastest and cheapest way out of a car accident claim. While we cannot answer directly to your situation, it is likely that the insurance company is offering you less than the full compensation you could recover. It is advised that you refrain from speaking with the insurance company until you have consulted with a personal injury attorney about your situation and about the amount you have been offered.

What is no-fault insurance?

Michigan is a “no-fault” state, and this coverage is mandatory. Also known as Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, No-Fault insurance is coverage from your own insurance company that provides many benefits including the payment of medical bills/expenses, wage loss and care to assist you in your daily activities. You look to your own insurance company for these benefits, regardless of fault!

Contact Us